At nearly 65, I’ve been an airline pilot for 36 years


At nearly 65, I’ve been an airline pilot for 36 years. I'm reasonably intelligent but far from a genius, and certainly not receiving job offers from JPL or NASA. Just an average guy who excels at being humble. At 64, I had to learn to fly the most advanced airliner in service, the Airbus A350, after flying the simpler Boeing 767 for the past 25 years. I had never flown an Airbus, which is fundamentally different from a Boeing. I was the oldest person to attempt Delta’s A350 Initial Qualification training program. I was warned that even younger pilots found the training extremely challenging, and that my age might make success unlikely. The A350 is a complex aircraft with a 7000-page training manual, countless training videos, 6 weeks of simulators, and difficult electronic and oral exams. Many doubted I could do it.

Nonsense! I went through the training and found it manageable. It was no more challenging than my MD-11 training in 1991 at age 34, despite the A350’s more rigorous program. My learning ability hadn’t declined in 30 years, and I aced the program without trouble. If I can easily learn complex tasks in my mid-60s, so can others.

The point is, the ability to learn varies for everyone. Some might peak at 30, 40, or 50, but others remain sharp well into their 90s. Don’t assume or count anyone out based on age. Respect older people because many are just as capable, if not more so, than you. Treat everyone well, especially the elderly, because one day you’ll be one of them, and you’ll appreciate being treated with dignity and respect.

Credit to the original owner (respect 🫡).

Popular posts from this blog

"A Bronx Tale" is a compelling crime and coming-of-age drama directed by and starring Robert De Niro, released in 1993.

"The Deer Hunter," released in 1978

Childhood Memories of Deepavali Celebration at my Native Village in Thanjavur District, Tamil Nadu